Prince Harry defends his “necessary” memoir on television: “The right time to reclaim my story and tell it myself”
No intention of “hurting” his family: Prince Harry defended his memoirs on television on Sunday, the first extracts of which caused a sensation and threaten to see the royal family further torn apart four months before the coronation of King Charles III.
“After 38 years of having my story told by so many people with intentional distortions and manipulations, it felt like the right time to reclaim my story and tell it myself,” justifies the Duke of Sussex in this interview with the British channel ITV, broadcast two days before the official publication of his book “The Substitute”.
“I love my father, I love my brother, I love my family and I will always love them. Nothing I wrote in this book was done with the intention of hurting or harming them. do wrong”, he insisted, assuring to hope for a “reconciliation” on the condition of establishing “the responsibilities”, in particular on his departure with his wife Meghan Markle for California in 2020.
But according to the extracts from the book which have leaked to the press since the text was put on sale by mistake on Thursday in Spain, the prince spares almost no one, in particular his brother William, heir to the throne, already scratched in the “Harry & Meghan” docuseries aired on Netflix in December.
The 38-year-old Duke of Sussex calls William a ‘beloved brother and sworn enemy’ and accuses him of knocking him to the ground during a 2019 row over Meghan, whom Harry married the year previous. He also reiterates his accusations against the royal family that he considers “accomplice” of hostile articles towards him and Meghan.
Asked about the interview given to American journalist Oprah Winfrey in 2021, Harry denied accusing the royal family of racism. “Meghan never mentioned” the word ‘racist’, said Harry, believing that it was the British press that used this term, preferring to speak, as in the Netflix documentary, of “unconscious bias”.
Buckingham Palace has so far remained officially silent on this avalanche of confidences, but denials and comments have begun to emerge in the British media. The Sunday Times quotes people close to Prince William as saying he is “sad”, “burning inside”, but “remaining silent for the sake of his family and the country”.
He also confides in the trauma left by the death of his mother
Harry leaves him doubting his intentions. “A lot can happen between now and then” Following “the ball is in their court”he said in his ITV interview. “I don’t think staying silent is going to make things any better”he adds, adding that he hopes for a “conversation” with his family, even if he “does not think his father or his brother will read the book”.
Many passages of the book also testify to the trauma left by the death of his mother, Princess Diana, in a road accident in Paris in 1997. In his interview with ITV, Harry confesses to having “cried only once , at his funeral”, and recounts his discomfort when he had to, with his brother, shake the hands of the people who came to meditate at the time in front of Kensington Palace in London.
The ITV show includes some excerpts from the audio version of the book, read by the prince himself, such as the one where he tells how his father told him of his mother’s death.
In the British press, since Thursday, reactions have alternated between disbelief at the intimacy of certain anecdotes told by Harry, such as his loss of virginity, his drug use, and indignation at what is considered a frontal attack on the family. royal.
Harry’s confession that he killed 25 Taliban fighters during his missions in Afghanistan sparked huge outcry. On ITV, the Duke of Sussex deemed his memoirs “necessary” to establish “historical facts”, adding that he now feels “relief”. He must give other interviews to American media to promote his book.
#Prince #Harry #defends #memoir #television #time #reclaim #story